Let me just start by thanking everyone for their patience with the increased security on our blog. It makes us feel better since we have pictures of Julia posted.
So about the title. It's kind of like "game time" where there's only 3 minutes left on the clock but it could take 15. That's how time-out's have been around here. Julia only has to sit in time out for 3 minutes-quiet, on her stool. I think today she spent about an hour and a half attempting to complete 4 separate time-out's. Throw a few spankings in (not that they really do any good with Julia) and that's about how my day looked. Finding what truly works for my child is difficult. It changes from day to day! My daughter is such a sweet and precious gift-with a horrible stubborn streak. Not sure where she got that. (OK, friends of mine, quit laughing so hard-I know it's my genetics!) I know the benefits of a child with a mind of her own, it's just hard to remember them when she's screaming "I don't like you!" or "I not in trouble!" and, my favorites "I don't have to" and "You can't make me." She also has a whole list of excuses: "my hands are tired", "I can't want to", "I forgot how to..." Luckily, most of her fits are at home. She is a perfect angel at day care and most trips to stores are completely uneventful-or the fits stop with a meaningful glare. (A trip to the car for a spanking a few times has made that glare more meaningful!) Justin said it best-we get an energy boost when she's tucked into bed!
I joke that I'm lucky my parents let me get to adulthood. Mom once pronounced the curse on me: "I hope you have a daughter just like you someday!" I was hoping, but not really convinced that we had dodged a bullet. Julia was so sweet (and often still is) in the beginning. She slept well (through the night at 6 weeks) and ate well. She was a happy, self-entertaining baby most of the time. I got my first peak at her stubborn streak when she was 9 months old. I remember thinking "discipline is starting already?" Now I'm thinking, "good grief, she's only 3!" and "boarding school looks good for the teenage years". I confess, it's hard not to feel like this is completely my fault. I don't see her nearly as often as I want to. Between work and school, time with Julia is precious and I hate that much of it seems to be spent in power struggles.
Sorry this has been long and wordy and not filled with fun pictures. I think more than anything we need wisdom. Wisdom in how to parent Julia without destroying her spirit. Wisdom in whether or not I should slow down or even give up my program. Wisdom for Justin in determining how best to lead our family.
I can't begin to thank everyone for the encouragement and prayer support you've blessed us with. We are so blessed to have an authentic community of support right now. And the door swings both ways-life is never too crazy to listen to a friend.
Saturday, April 12, 2008
Time-Out Time vs. Real Time
Posted by secrowe at 6:26 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I just emailed you back from your comment on my blog, but just now read yours! Oh my word...they are almost the exact same! Don't put any guilt on yourself just because you can't be with her all of the time. I'm with Gracie all of the time and we are going through the exact same thing!! Give yourself a break! Love ya, Amanda
You are an AMAZING mommy!! NEVER think that it is "your" fault! Sometimes kiddos just get the best of us, they have to learn boundaries just like we did!! I will be praying for you and for wisdom and discernment!! You are awesome, I am so proud of you!!!
Love you!!
I think we all feel like we are searching for the magic discipline strategy that will work best for our children. Many days I feel overwhelmed with the task of disciplining 2 two year olds. With God's grace we will all survive and so will they. Keep up the good work! We are praying for you, and appreciate all the prayers you send up on our behalf. We are blessed to have an amazing support group. We love you guys and miss you terribly.
XOXO, Meg
Post a Comment