Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Temper Tantrums and Joy

I was watching Julia as she threw herself on the floor and started whining and crying last night. And I was thinking, gee, kid, I have better reasons to throw a tantrum right now than you do. From not one but two cars misbehaving (one is completely dead in our driveway) to being sick with a flu-like virus since last Thursday and missing work and two nights of class. And to top it off, they are predicting 6+ inches of snow later this week-and the car that handles snow well is the one that is dead.


Then today, feeling a little better but puny, I went to pick up Julia from daycare. Her teacher asked if I had been sick. I said that I had. She explained that every time some new came in the room, she told them that her mommy was sick and she wanted her to feel better. That got me thinking about the joys in our lives right now. I thought I would list some of them-for my own benefit more than anything else. It's sometimes helpful to see in writing how God inserts smiles into the chaos.

1. Julia has been trying to care for me-playing quietly, and even sharing her woawie blanket and Dora cereal with me.
2. God has blessed us with extra in the checking account-without dipping into our savings.
3. We have a savings account.
4. I have only had to miss two half-days and one full day of work.
5. I have a boss who truly cares about my wellbeing and isn't docking me for days missed.
6. I have a husband who, even though he has had a couple extremely late nights, has been taking very good care of me and our daughter.
7. He gave me a really sweet get-well card.
8. Julia's temper tantrums have been much less in frequency and severity since I got sick.
9. We have an incredibly warm and snug little house.
10. I had the windows open this afternoon, enjoying the warm, sweet, rainy air-before the temperature plummeted 54 degrees and the sleet/snow started falling.
11. I have a little girl to remind me how exciting snow can be.
12. My professors have been very understanding.
13. We have some really great friends who were willing to tow our car back to our house the night before a big test.
14. The Protege broke down a couple of blocks from our house and not on the highway when Justin was driving home from work.
15. The Alero is getting us from place to place.
16. I have a smart husband who is doing his best to fix the Alero and save us money.
17. Justin and Julia are still healthy and my fever has finally broken.
18. And most importantly, I have a God who has never, ever let me down. We have never gone hungry, we have never been homeless, we have never gone without clothes, we have always had our bills paid, we have always had a car to drive.

Wow, what a God we serve.

0 comments: